Thursday, August 9, 2007

The Spider on the Towel


Recently, I found myself in a situation where am old haunt, an old "well" that I used to frequent when things got rough and I got "thirsty", seemed to jump right in my face and offer its solace. The week had been a rough one. Several weeks in fact. Work issues, relationship issues, feeling lonely, restless... it seems I was ripe for the picking. It also seems that it is in these particular times that I (and most of the men I know) tend to forget all that I know is true and the old messages, the old lies, come flooding in. Right at the moment where my strength needs to be at my beconing, it seems to have run off like a new hunting dog at the first blast of my shotgun.

So there I stood. Alone on a busines trip. Staring at myself in the mirror thru the blinding haze of those dang hotel bathroom flourescent lights wondering who the man looking back was... really. In the first moment, excited at the possibilities that being in a strange town, alone, would afford me to fulfill this sense of emptiness. That with seeming anonimity I could pursue whatever fulfillment was offered to me. No one would have to know. Then I caught a glimpse of my reflection, and the questions started to flood in.

"Who am I... really? Is all of this talk of new Life and a new Identity real, or is it just another rouse? And if it is true, why in the world am I entertaining the thoughts I am?"

Then right on its heals, the accusations, and with it, the trap that was set for me was preparing to slam shut.

I continued to ponder... "And if I am entertaining these thoughts, then my heart must be bad and I must be just a fraud and a failure and if that is true then I might as well just give up this struggle and go out and..."

But at that moment, that moment where the agreement with the lie, the agreement to believe that the heart God placed in me was worth nothing, was milli-seconds away from being embraced, I saw the strangest thing. A black spider dropped down from underneath the bathroom counter and landed smack dab on the center of this bright white hotel bath towel that I had thrown on the floor earlier. It was a study in contrasts- this bright, clean, white towel and this black, creepy, nasty little spider.

In that odd moment, God spoke.

"David, the towel is your heart. Clean. Pure. White. Mine. But neglected. On the floor. Easy place for a spider to get to. The spider is the enemy coming for your heart. And if your heart was not pure, you would never have seen him when he landed."

He was done talking. I killed the spider on the white towel and flushed it.

Funny thing in how the enemy can so easily weasel his way in, but especially when I have neglected my heart, starving it as it were from the source of its Life. So often I try to live on the memory of yesterday's encounter with God (or last week's or last month's). What results is a neglected, starving heart that is easy prey. And our enemy knows this and takes full advantage, not only suggesting the sin but then accusing us for even thinking of it. His goal- to wrap us in the cycle of self defeat and accusation. If he can get you to do your own accusing (of yourself), he can have a coffee break. As my band has come to call him- he is a lazy suck after all, but oh so crafty and good at his job.

So where does that leave me? The next day I wrote this to a boot camp alumni- really, I was writing it to myself too.

"...even in the midst of it all, you are fighting, and that, my friend, is victory too. You are not yet all that you will become, but each decision, each step for freedom that you take (and that includes the steps we make when we get up after falling down) is one step closer to that man that you really are inside. NEVER give up, NEVER. Failure is the man who doesn't rise after he falls, not the man who never falls."

May you and I keep killing the "spider" on the white towel and never give up... never!

David

4 comments:

Jesse L. said...

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who questions the intentions of his heart. Often times I find myself agreeing with the accusations of others. Instead of listening to what God has to say about my heart, it's much easier to give up and agree: I'm probably bad after all.

However, I know that is untrue. The "spider" is a creep, and deserves to be squashed for his conniving words. However, that spider can often seem much more like the spider in "Lord of the Rings: Return of the King" than a little guy on the floor of your bathroom.

God, please equip us with the courage necessary to defeat our evil foe. Please remind us that we are good, and don't let the enemy define us as men any longer.

Unknown said...

I've fought this battle for years and sad to say, the trap has slammed shut on me more times than I care to remember. My new strength though is knowing that I have a band of brothers that I can lean on and most importantly knowing/remembering that I have a merciful Father looking out for me and equiping me to kick the evil ones ass. Each instance is a battle in the ongoing war that I WILL win against the enemy.

I had this strength reinforced while attending my first bootcamp this year. I'm changed forever.

God bless all of you guys who are going through the same struggles. Please remember that you are not alone, and that you can find strength in your own BOB (Band of Brothers).

Dave the Shoe-Guy said...

David,
I happened to find this just purusing the internet tonight. It was written over a year ago, and yet it could have been just written for me today.
Thank you for writing this blog and putting this out there...it has made a huge impact on me..thanks again...
Strength and honor for the Kingdom

Bob H said...

I heard about the Heart Revolution boot camp for the first time in Sept.2006 only a few days beforehand. Someone told me to read the book "Wild At Heart" before getting to camp, and I found that this book is the only book I've ever read that when I was done, I turned back to page one and read the whole thing over again. Even though I'd been a Christian for 30 years, I was inhaling this stuff and it was appealing to my masculine heart that was looking for life - and how to live as a man wholly alive.
When I left for the camp, I wasn't sure I'd have a marriage when I got back. My wife was withdrawing into the depression that was hitting her so strongly, and our marriage was on the rocks because of that and how I'd been wounding her over the years.
Bottom line: the book "Wild At Heart" and the Heart Revolution boot camp changed my life and saved my marriage. I got my heart back. I found that the Bible says repeatedly that God cares about my heart, he cares about my wounds, and he wants me to live out of the deep desires that are in my heart.
And I found that getting my heart back and coming alive as a man was what Christianity was supposed to be, that it made me a better man, a better husband, a better father. Now, some two+ years later, my marriage has been restored, even though my wife still deals with depression - Jesus Christ brought healing to both our hearts, and Jesus has brought my heart alive. Thanks, guys.